Shearing Sports NZ
Welcome to Shearing Sports New Zealand
- New Zealand Merino Shearing Championships - September 30, 2015
- An Australian champion has New Zealand shearers shaking in their moccasins as he zeroes-in on a sixth consecutive win in New Zealand's only finewool shearing championship this weekend....
- Two outta three ain't bad - September 28, 2015
- New Zealand has won two of three transtasman shearing and woolhandling tests during the Australian national shearing and woolhandling championships at Hamilton, Vic...
- Circuits for World Champs selection - September 09, 2015
- Shearing Sports New Zealand has agreed on two circuits to select the machine shearing and woolhanding representatives for the 2017 Golden Shears World Championships...
- Wales series ends in 2-2 tie - July 26, 2015
- The New Zealand shearing team has had to settle for a draw in its 2015 UK tour series against Wales after being beaten in the final match at the Corwen Shears in north-east Wales...
- Royal Welsh boilover - A win to Jack Fagan - July 25, 2015
- Te Kuiti shearer Jack Fagan has taken up just where dad David Fagan left off by winning the Royal Welsh Show Open shearing title - a year after his father won the title for a 14th time....
2014/2015 Competition Directory
Download a full copy of the current competition directory in pdf form (7mb) by clicking here
New Zealand wool is recognised internationally for its quality and consistency as a result of the partnership between sheep farmers, wool harvesters and processors. The skills of shearers, wool handlers and pressers maximise the value of the wool grown throughout the country and help maintain New Zealand's proud tradition as a producer of the world's finest wools.
Shearing Sports New Zealand - our role...
- Manage the delivery of over 60 shearing, wool handling and pressing competitions throughout New Zealand annually
- Establish, promote and measure national quality standards in all wool harvesting disciplines at all competitions
- Profile and promote New Zealand wools and wool products at all national and international competitions
- Promote professionalism among all people working in our industry by setting and maintaining standards at all events
- Support professional development and training through partnerships with the Agriculture Industry Training Organisation and Tectra to ensure that people in the industry work to high and consistent standards
- Work alongside New Zealand farmers and shearing contractors to ensure the quality of our wool is maintained and improved through the harvesting process
- Showcase the opportunities our industry presents young people as a career, and provide them support and mentoring through training and competition
Shearing Sports New Zealand - Life Members...
- Robin Kidd
- Hugh McCarroll MNZM
- John Fagan MBE